Most people that know me well know that I am intrigued with the most random facts and uncommon studies. If you let me, I will rattle them off to you and then give you my unwanted opinion, views, and deeply felt reaction to them while standing on a 10 foot tall soap box with a megaphone in hand for all to hear. So, no surprises here, I came across a new study, just out, hot off the press, and yes I am itching to share. This is where Chris tends to tune me out, or pretend to listen, nod, and say "Yes dear that is interesting." Nevertheless, interesting fact of the day...
We have all heard the predictions that our country's demographics are changing dramatically, that we will be a minority in our own country within the next 40 years. To further excel this change, researchers have discovered it may actually occur much sooner. Why? Well, let's face it, white women are getting married and having children much later these days, while minorities, Hispanics in particular, tend to have children at a very young age and typically have a lot more children. So two forces are working against us. White Americans are having less babies, and Hispanic women, which is a growing number on its own, are having more. Specifically, each Hispanic woman has 2.99 children while each white woman has 1.87 children on average.
With the 2010 census beginning next week, many are curious what the numbers will reveal. In 2008, 48% of all U.S. born children were of a minority race.
Okay, so I probably sound like a racist person right now. Believe me my concern here is not about the race card. The implications of this issue are far more than we commonly think about. Take this study further and we find that according to the U.S. Department of Labor, only 56% of Hispanic women work, 25% of those only work part-time, and there is only a 33% chance of working if they do not have a high school diploma. My concern is not our country's demographics, but rather our country's sustainability, level of poverty, and population of the undereducated. As the fewer educated adults have fewer children, who will ultimately pay the taxes to support the low-income families of this country. As the debt of the U.S. grows and the minorities do too, we could be in for some tough times. Call it a far-fetched prediction, or just a quirky fear of mine, but I do think America is due for a rude awakening soon. China's communist/socialist leadership with child bearing restrictions may not seem so inconceivable in the next few decades as our country approaches a similarly run government and an overpopulous unemployed.
Stepping down for now and carefully handing over my megaphone- I have done my fair share for the week, hope I didn't lose anyone on this one.
How We’re Organizing Our Digitized Photos
1 week ago






Love it Holly. I completely agree. My dad and I were discussing this a few weeks back.
ReplyDeleteThat is why you and I need to about about 4 kids each! ;) Keep the facts/studies coming!