Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Much Ado

My to-do list these days has grown to several pages long. The last time I felt this overwhelmed was while planning our wedding nearly 6 years ago (hard to believe huh?), and of course looking back now I loved the chaos of it all. I am sure this case of madness is no different, so taking this list and crossing off one item at a time is the only way to deal.

My fear is that I have left something off of this list or have completely forgotten something very important to the overall well being of our child and will be suddenly caught off guard when the baby arrives and we do not have everything we need to function properly. I have to remind myself that nearly all of the things on my list were not on my mother's list or my grandmothers' list- and therefore are completely unnecessary. Phew! Still, don't we like to have all of the available comforts at our fingertips?

Here is a little glimpse into my baby related list (yes I have several other active lists too) in no particular order with a few let's-not-embarrass-myself-too-much items that have been left off:

Take maternity pictures- hoping to do this in February.
Fill in baby book/ pregnancy journal where possible.
Finish reading pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, and baby books (currently reading about 7 books!)
Curtains for Nursery
Art for Nursery
Crib & Mattress
Clock for Nursery
DIY Mobile? (More on this later)
Animal Decals for Nursery
Hostess gifts
Keep up with thank you notes for shower gifts
Maternity outfits for showers and upcoming weddings
Pediatrician
Cord blood banking
Take home outfit for Mason
Birth announcements
Birth plan
Nursing Bras
Write a will
Babymoon?
Call insurance company with due date
Finalize Maternity Leave with HR
Third (and final) ultrasound
Buy remaining items off of registries
Pack hospital bag
Install car seat
Keep cars gased up and towels on hand at all times (you never know where it will happen)
Take newborn pictures- obviously can't do until Mason arrives, but planning it is key.
Register at hospital
Birthing Class
Register at BabysRus and Amazon
Gestational Diabetes Test
Schedule Baby Showers
Paint Nursery
Dresser for Nursery
Glider for Nursery
Bedding for Nursery
Bassinet for master bedroom

I am a little hesitant to ask, but have I left anything off?

4 comments:

  1. OMG you are hysterical!!

    As for a birth plan, you can imagine how you would LIKE it to go but you just never know what will happen! My advice is to just be calm and let God do his thing but be prepared for anything! Be prepared for 30 hr. labor, or an emergency c-section. Just know anything could happen but the main thing is getting him out safe so just go with it! =)

    I am sooo excited for you! Can't wait til your shower!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly,
    It's Paige Sonnier, I looked at your blog through Kristin Abbotts :)
    I saw you were doing cord blood banking, we've did it with our son and are doing it with baby #2 due in June. If you'd like information on who we used etc. let me know, I'd be happy to share the information.
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!
    paigesreynolds@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. just BREATHE! this is cracking me up!! i had similar lists...let them go. you cannot be fully prepared, and that's ok. with the great family support you have, everything will be just fine. if you forget something, that's ok, too. there will be plenty of people around to help pick up the slack.

    my advice on books....STOP reading them. nothing you read can really prepare you. my favorite book (which I'm only now reading), is Baby 411. great stuff.

    my advice on bras....buy only nursing sports bras. the underwire nursing bras are a major pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too funny girl!!
    Hey, atleast you can get it all down on paper. I had all that on my mind, but could never manage to make an actual list! lol
    You are doing great and will be super prepared!!!
    (was really hoping to see you at the Carr's last night!)

    ReplyDelete